Snoring happens when you can not move air freely from your nose during sleep.
In this article, we will share vital information on how to stop snoring using home remedies.
It can affect the quality of sleep that may cause health problems, daytime fatigue, and irritation.
What Causes Snoring?
Snoring appears when turbulent air flows through the airway, that form sound waves.
The other symptoms include drinking alcohol, smoking, obesity or allergy.
Causes of Snoring includes
- Age and Lifestyle Factors
- Nasal or Sinus Problems
- Bad Sleeping Postures
- Unhealthy Habits such as Smoking, Alcohol or Medications
- Being Overweight
Tips on How to Stop Snoring Naturally
- Reduce Weight
- Try to Sleep on Your Side
- Treat Chronic Allergies
- Avoid Alcohol and Sedatives
- Quit Smoking
- Steam Inhaling Therapy
- Stay Hydrated
- Open Nasal Passages
- Throat and Tongue Exercise
- Drink Turmeric Milk
- Try Clarified Butter
- Olive Oil
- Cardamom Powder
- Breathing and Mouth Exercises
- Peppermint Oil
- Garlic Cloves
- Chin Strap
- Mouth Guard for Snoring
- Nose Strips
1. Reduce Weight
The excess weight may also cause snoring problems, losing weight can stop snoring.
Being overweight increase the risk of snoring, and may lead to fatty tissues around your neck.
It may increase the risk of Sleep Apnea.
When you lose weight, it reduces fatty tissue in the back of the throat and decreases the risk of snoring.
A healthy lifestyle habit is necessary to maintain your health and weight.
You can also read about 11 Quick and Easy Weight Loss Recipes You Should Try
Points to Remember
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Try to do exercise every day and manage health.
- Eat healthy food and diet.
2. Try to Sleep on Your Side
Believe it or not but your sleeping position can cause the snoring problems.
When you sleep on your back, it causes the tongue to move backwards.
It partly blocks the airflow through your throat.
While sleeping on your side can ease the airflow and reduce or stop snoring.
Points to Remember
- Try to sleep on your side and change sleep positions.
- Raise the head of the bed few inches or try to raise head with the help of a pillow.
- Use anti snoring pillow to change the head position.
3. Treat Chronic Allergies
Many allergies such as throat infection, dust, cold or other allergies may cause snoring problems.
Allergies reduce the flow of air through the nose and forces you to breath through the mouth.
Treating these allergies will help you to get a sound sleep.
It is better to talk to the doctor to get proper medication to improve your condition.
4. Avoid Alcohol and Sedatives
Drugs, sedatives, and alcohol relax the muscles and gives less control over the tongue and throat muscles.
It causes vibrations when breathing in and out and affects the sleep patterns.
Any medication that affects the sleep must take under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
It is advisable to talk to your doctor about the medicines or prescription that helps you to get better sleep.
Points to Remember
- Avoid taking alcohol and sleeping pills.
- Avoid drinking alcohol 4 hours before sleeping.
- Visit a doctor
5. Quit Smoking
It does cause snoring as it irritates the membranes in the nose and throat that blocks the airflow.
By quitting smoke, it gives relief from snoring at night.
This unhealthy habits may lead to many diseases worsen your snoring problems.
Talk to your doctor about quit smoking therapies that help you to quit.
You can also read about How to Quit Smoking in 10 Easy Steps?
Side Effects of Smoking
- It leads to inflammation.
- It weakens the respiratory system.
- Increase the production of mucus.
- It leads to lung damage.
- It leads to airways damage.
- Smoking also affects the quality of sleep.
6. Steam Inhaling Therapy
The main reason for snoring is nasal congestion.
Inhaling steam is one of the best snoring remedies to treat snoring issues and congestion.
It helps you to open your nostrils and breathe deep and clear while sleeping.
Steps to Follow
- Pour hot boiling water in a large bowl and add Essential Oil such as Tea Tree Oil to it.
- Bring your face close to the container and cover with a towel.
- Inhale the steam through your nose for ten minutes.
- Repeat this before going to bed until your congestion clears.
7. Stay Hydrated
Dehydration is another cause of snoring and sleep apnea symptoms.
According to WebMD, As per the Institute of Medicine, healthy women should have about 11 cups, and men need about 16 cups of total water a day.
It does not mean that you have to drink lots of water before going to bed.
You need to stay hydrated during the day, and that will protect your airways to become dry or sticky.
Drink plenty of fluids or juice throughout the day to keep yourself hydrated.
8. Open Nasal Passages
The best way to treat snoring is keeping the nasal passages open all the times.
A clear passage allows the air to pass freely through nose and mouth.
To open nasal passages take a hot shower before going to bed.
You can keep a bottle of saltwater rinse in the shower.
Or else neti pot to rinse the nasal passages with a salt-water solution.
As per WebMD, Nasal Strips may also work to lift nasal passages and open them up.
Points to Remember
- To reduce allergies, remove dust and pet dander in your bedroom or use an allergy medication.
- To breathe from the nose instead of mouth keep your nasal passages clear.
- Try nasal spray or tablets if the allergy is blocking your nose.
- Take advice from a doctor to treat allergies.
9. Throat and Tongue Exercise
It includes a combination of many exercises that help to reduce snoring.
You can do some tongue and throat strengthening exercise that help to prevent sleep apnea.
According to Medical News Daily, Throat exercises help strengthen weak throat muscles and prevent them from falling during sleep.
How to Stop Snoring with these Exercises?
- Repeat vowels (a, e, i, o, u) out loud for two to three minutes many times a day.
- Open your mouth wide open and hold it open for 10 seconds.
- Close your mouth and purse your lips. Hold for 30 seconds.
- With mouth open, move jaw to the right and hold for 30 seconds. Repeat on left side.
- You can also do the singing. It increases the muscles control in the throat.
10. Drink Turmeric Milk
Turmeric is best known for its antiseptic and antibiotic properties.
It is a proven sleep apnea treatment to treat inflammation and nasal passages.
You can make turmeric milk that will help you to breathe deep and treat snoring.
It will help you to get better sleep and also boost your immune system.
Steps to make Turmeric Milk
- Add one or two tbsp of Turmeric in a glass of warm Milk.
- Drink it 30 minutes before going to sleep.
- Drink it daily until you get relief from snoring.
11. Try Clarified Butter
Clarified Butter or Ghee is one of the best natural remedies for snoring.
It has the best medicinal properties that help to open the blocked nasal packages.
It also provides enormous benefits.
- Help to snore less
- Gives better sleep
- Boost immune power
- Improves digestive health
- Active inflammatory agent
It is an effective sleep apnea treatment that opens up nasal passages.
Steps to Follow
- Warm a tbsp of Clarified Butter in the microwave.
- Let it cool down to lukewarm and use two to three drop in each nostril.
- Do this daily before going to bed and after waking up for better results.
12. Olive Oil
It is an anti-inflammatory agent that clear the passages of the air and ease all the tissues along the respiratory passage.
It reduces the vibration in the throat and helps to stop snoring.
Use this remedy regularly to get rid of snoring naturally.
Steps to Follow
- Take two or three sips of Olive Oil before going to bed.
- Take a half tbsp of Olive Oil and Honey, mix it and consume it daily before going to bed.
13. Cardamom Powder
Cardamom is efficient in opening up nasal and blocked passages.
It is an excellent source of vitamin C, iron, calcium, and, magnesium.
It is an expectorant and decongestant that leads to the free air passage that results in less snoring.
Its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties help to get better sleep.
Steps to Follow
- Add half tbsp of Cardamom Powder to a glass of warm water.
- Drink it half an hour before going to bed.
- Do this daily to reduce snoring problems.
14. Breathing and Mouth Exercises
Breathing exercises are also helpful in reducing snoring and sleep apnea symptoms.
Many yoga exercises help to gets better sleep and helps to stop snoring.
It also helps you to reduce stress and calm your mind so that you can fall asleep.
Steps to Follow
- Push the tip of your tongue upward and slide it backwards. Repeat this 20 times.
- Suck your tongue upward against the roof of your mouth 20 times.
- Push the back of your tongue down while keeping the tip touching the inside of your front teeth 20 times.
- Lift your soft palate and uvula 20 times.
- Use index finger to press your cheek muscle away from your teeth. Repeat this ten times.
Sit in a comfortable position with spine fully erect. Place your hands on your knees with your palms open and facing the sky.
Now take a deep breath (inhale deeply) through your both nostrils until your lungs are full with air.
Take a long breath, exhale through nostrils so that your stomach will go deep inside.
Repeat this process for five minutes.
15. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint is an anti-inflammatory that helps to promote smooth breathing.
It also helps to reduce the membrane swelling in the throat and nostrils linings. It gives relief from temporary snoring due to an allergy, a cold or dry air.
- Add two drops of Peppermint Oil to a glass of water. Gargle with it before going to bed and repeat this until you get the desired result.
- You can also rub a little Peppermint Oil into the lower portions of each side of your nose before going to bed.
- You can add few drops of Peppermint Oil to the humidifier about 30 minutes before bed.
Chamomile is an anti-inflammatory property that helps to reduce snoring.
It also helps to ease muscles tensions around the throat and provides sound sleep.
You can make tea from it that reduce the sleep apnea symptoms and snoring.
- Add few Chamomile Flowers or one tea bag in boiling water.
- Let it boil for 15 minutes.
- Strain the flowers and add a tbsp Honey to it.
- Take this warm tea before going to bed for better results.
17. Garlic Cloves
It is one of the effective natural remedies for snoring and sleep apnea symptoms.
It has natural properties that treat the mucus build-up in the nasal passage.
You can consume garlic in different ways.
- Chew Raw Garlic and drink water after it.
- You can use Garlic in your meals.
You can also opt for Garlic Pills if you do not want to chew garlic cloves.
Use this daily before sleeping to reduce the snoring problems and to induce sound sleep.
18. Chin Strap
If you are an open mouth snorer, then this anti-snoring chin strap is best for you.
But before buying it is better to consult your doctor.
The strap helps to support your jaw, and keep the mouth closed while asleep.
19. Mouth Guard for Snoring
The anti- snoring mouthpieces are the best way to reduce the effect of snoring.
The mouth guard helps to open the airways either by re-positioning your jaw or tongue.
The fact is that while snoring the tongue lie towards the back.
Using mouth guard will reposition your tongue and helps you to get better sleep.
20. Nose Strips
Nose Strips helps to open your nasal passages that help to stop snoring.
It is useful to breathe better and lift your airways to snore less and sound sleep.
Snoring during the night can disruptive at times and may be a sign of a severe medical condition.
Getting treatment is essential to maintain overall good health and get a sound sleep.
Following these remedies will not only helps you to reduce the symptom of snoring but also provides numerous benefits.
- People with overweight should reduce weight to control snoring.
- A diet enriched with nutrients, antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents helps to prevent snoring.
- By following these remedies and tricks, you can get a better amount of sleep.