Phobia is an anxiety level or an unreasonable fear of something that affects the quality of life.
A person dealing with a phobia may encounter fearful situations or the presence of objects that can be threatening.
It can be due to horrible dreams, social anxiety or fear, fear of animals, or other specific fear.
Why do people have Phobias?
It may cause in people due to genetic factors, cultural factors of life experiences.
It generates irrational fear in mind of things and objects.
Its symptoms include:
- Fear of Heights: Sitting on an airplane or high building can be fearful
- Fear of Animals: Such as spiders, rats or cockroaches
- Social Phobia: Feeling rejected or offended in front of others, fear from a large crowd
- Fear of Open Spaces: Fear of enclosed or being in open spaces
In this article, we will talk about as how to treat phobias or ways to reduce its effects.
10 Tips for Overcoming Fear and Phobia in Simple Steps
Identify Your Fears
The foremost step you need to follow is to prepare yourself to overcome a fear.
- Try to identify your fear
- Think of what exactly you are afraid of
- What makes you feel anxious or trouble
In today’s competitive age, our life is getting stressed and unbalanced, if you have a job you fear losing it.
We always fear to lose something in life may be a job, relationships, friendships, business deals or other things.
How to overcome fear and phobia?
- Expose your fear what it is, and try to eliminate it and reduce its existence.
- Face your fears, gain a clear understanding and try to find solutions to your problems.
- Focus on positives and try to ignore negative thoughts and things.
- Learn from the experience and try to manage your fear and anxieties.
- To manage stress, break fear into small tasks and complete the task one by one.
- Learn something new every day, as this habit will help you to check your problems daily.
Make a Strategy to Deal with Fear
Now you have triggered your fear and stress levels, the next step is to create a plan to tackle your problems.
How to get over fear of heights?
For instance, You have a fear of heights, and you want to deal with this phobia.
What will you do? Maybe you will first make up your mind to face your trigger levels.
Such as sitting on an airplane, hiking on a mountain, do parachuting or skydiving.
All these activities will help you to curb your fear and may reduce your anxiety levels to some level.
How to overcome fear and phobia?
- Learn to take control of your life and find solutions to your problems.
- Analyze your problems and come out with as many possible solutions as you can.
- Do positive visualizations and distract yourself by doing some activities.
- Decide the good or bad outcome of strategy and choose the best solution.
- It is normal to get afraid of things, and be brave enough to tackle situations.
The best way is to write down your triggers and break it into small strategies and deal with it daily.
Exposing to Fear
The leading step to overcome fear involves facing difficult or fearful situations or things.
It will help you learn that the things aren’t as dreadful as you might think.
When you start to face your problems instead of avoiding, that time you get an Exposure.
It is an act of going into fearful situations until or unless you feel a little anxious.
The more you expose to fear the more it lessens.
According to AnxietyBC, Exposure can be most relevant in overcoming fears.
Start with the situations that are less scary, or you can dispense easily.
It will boost your confidence and encourage you to deal with most stressful situations.
Following Steps As Per AnxietyBc to Overcome
- Push or stretch your fears up to the level where you no longer feel fear or panic.
- Make a list of situations, place, and objects and try to tackle those situations.
- Try to face your fears, unless you start to feel a little anxious.
- Practice on a regular basis, the more you will practice the faster it will fade.
- Reward yourself for facing the challenging situations or when you achieve a goal.
These steps will help you to treat your phobias and make you deal with the situations in a better way.
Fight Your Fears and Challenge Negative Feelings
We worry about the future many times, recall events passed in the past, that make us feel tensed or depressed.
These tensed or stressed feelings may drain you or distract you from important issues.
Steps to overcome the fear
- Our subconscious thoughts reinforce negative thinking, you need to recognize, understand and learn to challenge your thoughts.
- Take a break from your negative thoughts.
- Practice active gratitude that leads to positive and happy thoughts.
- Rather than dwelling your time on negative things, focus on your strengths.
- Feel positive about yourself, life and things.
- Do positive affirmations daily to deal with situations.
- Take professional support to manage your thoughts and feelings.
Be Mindful and Stay Healthy
Mindfulness helps you to feel relaxed, bring more awareness, overcome fear and move forward in life.
The longer we avoid the negativity, the more it will bring inner peace.
A healthy lifestyle helps you to reduce your stress level and feel less panic.
- Eat as healthy as possible
- Take regular exercises
- Drink plenty of water and get a good amount of sleep
- Avoid drinking caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine
You can read about How to find Happiness within Yourself?
How to control fear?
- Love yourself, your life and focus on positive things.
- Practice relaxation techniques and exercises that may help you to feel more peaceful.
- Do plenty of exercises and eat lots of green vegetables and fruits.
- Talk to people who have a positive outlook towards life and influence you.
- Do walk or exercises in a relaxing and peaceful place to remain calm.
Meditate and Exercise Regularly
When You encounter stress, it produces stress hormones such as cortisol in the body.
With regular exercises, our body releases stress and produce happy endorphins that restore a peaceful mind.
How to overcome fear?
- When you feel stress, it’s better to take a brisk walk in the nature.
- Do exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, as it will make you feel energetic and lighter.
- Laughter therapy is also helpful to reduce stress hormones.
- Breathe deeply from the abdomen helps you to reduce panic and anxiety levels.
- Exercises help you to relax the tensed muscles.
- Make time for fun and enjoy moments with family and friends that will help you to cure phobias.
You can do morning walks, cycling, swimming, sports or any other form of physical activity that will make you feel lighter and relaxed.
You can read about Importance of Mental Health for a Happy Life
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
CBT helps you to teach how to control your anxiety levels and conquer fear levels.
It identifies irrational thinking patterns and helps people to learn new ways of thinking about challenging situations.
How does CBT help?
- It helps to provide a behavioral method to help people face fear.
- It helps to identify your negative thoughts and things that make you anxious.
- CBT helps you to teach how to challenge negative thoughts and its pros and cons of thinking. It also tells us how to avoid these triggers.
- Replace your negative thoughts and illusions, with realistic and positive ones.
- It teaches a person to control fear, and negative feelings and emotions.
CBT involves a combination of other therapies
- Cognitive Restructuring: People with phobias have negative or fearful thoughts for long. They underestimate their ability to deal with challenging situations. It teaches people to deal with negative thought patterns and replace them with positivity to reduce anxiety.
- Systematic Exposure: It explains an individual to get exposure to fear and deal with things until it reduces the anxiety level. Exposure is the best way to face fears and bring new changes in thinking.
- Mindfulness Training: It helps to bring awareness and attention to the present and make you easily adaptive to the environment. It tells the ways to distract the negative thinking and focus on present situations.
Get Enough Sleep
Lack of sleep causes stress and interrupts the sleep patterns, and also releases stress hormones.
The disturbed sleep patterns generate stressful situations and anxiety triggers.
Instead of relying on medicines, one must maximize relaxation by balancing sleeping patterns.
How to overcome fear?
- Avoid caffeine during evenings and alcohol before going to bed.
- Stop mental work few hours before going to bed.
- Take a bath, listen to music or else read a book to relax your mind before sleep.
- Get at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep daily to maintain a healthy mind.
To get a better quality of sleep and reduce phobia level, develop a routine bedtime and sleep early.
Talk to Family or Friends about Phobia
Talking to Family and Friends is a helpful way to reduce phobia symptom.
You can ask for the company of your friend if you have a fear of going alone in crowded places.
Talk to your family and friends about your fear and seek their help to deal with the situations.
You can also take help of self-help resources such as books, music, online programmes and other methods.
It will bring more understanding and awareness and make it easy to face your anxieties.
How to treat phobias?
- Talking helps to release some of your tensions or may distract you from stressful thoughts.
- With your loved ones help you can find great solutions to your problems.
- You can also take help of support groups to tackle fear.
Develop Anxiety Management Skills
With the help of various techniques, you can surely deal with your anxieties.
Make a plan strategically to solve your problems and then implement it.
You can do with a combination of mindfulness and meditation.
How to overcome fear?
- It helps to manage their emotional responses to the problems.
- Learn to manage your time and make a list of tasks to perform and work on it accordingly.
- Practice relaxation strategies like deep breathing, muscles relaxation techniques, and mediation.
- Write your triggers and work on it one by one.
How to control fear?
- Take time out for yourself or you can either walk or take the bath to relax.
- Practice breathing when in panic or stress.
- Face your fears, when you start to face your fears it tends to fade away.
- Share your fears with loved ones and friends.
You can read about How to Deal with Depression & Anxiety?
Anxiety and Stress when faced with courage, strategies and right plans can get reduce at some point of the level.
It is an anxiety disorder and irrational fears that persist for a long time and must be deal with patience.
A combination of therapies, management skills, and confronting attitude to face fears can reduce phobias.
When you manage stress on a regular basis, it becomes easy to tackle.
Following tips are helpful to reduce stress levels
- Avoid smoking, alcohol or caffeine
- Drink more fluids or juices
- Keep a stress diary to check your triggers
- Manage your time and take charge of your life
- Learn to say no to unimportant things and requests
- Take an adequate amount of sleep
- Indulge in physical activities to stay fit
- Eat healthy foods
- Talk to friends and family members
- Practice breathing exercises when in stress
People should understand their triggers and deal with it with patience and courage.
When you sleep on time and eat healthy foods, it positively impacts your thoughts patterns and reduces stress levels.