OCD stands for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. OCD is an anxiety disorder of obsessive behavior, repetitive thoughts, and distressed feelings.
In this post, we will explain some natural ways to get OCD treatment.
OCD is more common among teens and adults with autism in toddlers and kids.
Initially, it begins with simple things like washing hands often but later develops as a serious issue where the affected individual washes hands many times a day.
OCD can be treated by
A combination of natural cures and psychotherapy are helpful to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
17 Natural and Effective Ways to Get OCD Treatment
1. St. John’s Wort
St John’s Wort is the most preferred remedy for OCD treatment and shown a positive impact.
Its antidepressant properties help affects the serotonin levels in your body.
A regular supplement of it is helpful in attaining focus and reducing the stress level.
According to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH), SJW reduces the effect of antidepressant and sedatives.
It helps reduce the compulsion to actions, thoughts, or routine behaviors.
You can also consume it as a herbal tea.
Consume it three times a day.
2. Magnesium Rich Foods
Magnesium foods are essential in maintaining the nervous system and muscles functioning.
Such as green leafy vegetables, fruits – banana, nuts, seeds, lentils, beans, whole grains, and avocados.
A person suffering from OCD has low levels of magnesium in their bones and cells.
However, it may result in personality changes.
Magnesium may minimize the release and consequent effects of stress hormones in the body.
It helps to maintain heart and immune health, and strengthen strong bones.
Regular intake of it lowers the level of anxiety and depression and headache.
3. Acupuncture for OCD
It is an ancient Chinese technique useful for OCD treatment natural way by increasing serotonin transmission.
Acupuncture aims to release energy from different parts of your body to provide powerful healing.
It includes placement of needles on different points throughout the body.
It helps to reduce the blockages in the body and bring it back to its original form.
Acupuncture reduces stress and anxiety level and calms the mind.
Obsessive Compulsive disorder treated naturally with the help of acupuncture.
4. Milk Thistle (Silybum Marianum)
Silybum is known as a liver herb but is useful for antioxidative, anti-inflammatory, and antidepressant effects.
It has long been used in Iran and Europe.
It controls the effect of antidepressants and OCD symptoms.
You can also read about 12 Signs of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder!
5. Aromatherapy using Essential Oils
Aromatherapy is very useful for treating Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.
It helps you to get good sleep and relax your mind and muscles.
To overcome the anxieties level, OCD may try aromatherapy.
OCD treatment with Aromatherapy:
- Add ten drops of essential oil to a bathtub of warm water. Such as lavender, chamomile or rosemary oil.
- Soak in it for half an hour.
6. Relaxation Training & Meditation
Relaxation techniques are beneficial for OCD treatment and reduce stress and anxiety level.
Regular practice of meditation helps you to get a peaceful state of mind and sound sleep.
If you have a fear of violence, encounter unwanted thoughts in your mind.
Then meditate daily to reduce negative thoughts and stress.
Yoga postures are very effective in calming the mind and reducing anxiety.
How to Get Rid of OCD?
- Deep Breathing– It promotes endorphins that helps calm and relaxes your mind. Sit in a relaxing place. Close your eyes and inhale and exhale for a few seconds. Slowly breathe in and out.
- Mindfulness Meditation– It brings awareness to mind and acceptance towards thoughts.
- Muscle Relaxation– It is helpful in identifying hidden tension throughout the body. It includes deep breathing exercises. Inhale and hold the breath for 5 to 7 counts then slowly exhale.
7. Remove Negative Thoughts
Obsessive Compulsive Disorders triggered by negative and fearful thoughts.
Such as killing by someone, repetitive thoughts, images of danger, wrongdoings or fearful acts.
First, you need to accept your thoughts and understand that you can not stop it.
The more you try to resist it the more it will occur and make you feel uncomfortable.
The best way to deal with it is by focusing on positive thoughts and stop giving attention to worries and anxieties.
How to Get Rid of OCD?
- Put emphasis on positive thoughts.
- Busy your mind with work.
- Exercise daily it will help to relax your mind and sleep better.
- Take support of your family, go on an outing with them
The more you keep your mind busy in doing activities, the more you feel positive.
8. Take Help of Life Coach
One way to get rid of your rigid behavior is by focusing on new ways of thinking and doing things.
A life coach will help you to deal with your negative emotions and bring awareness and positivity in life.
There are so many ways to take help of a coach.
- Read Positive books
- Listen to seminars conducted by many coaches on life and happiness
- Watch Positive Videos
Positive words put a powerful impact on your mind and body.
9. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is considered to be the best therapy for OCD treatment.
It is a form of talk or psychotherapy for the treatment of anxiety, depression, and OCD.
This therapy focuses on teaching new ways of thinking and dealing with emotions, feelings, and thoughts.
According to Society Of Clinical Psychology, it includes approx 12 sessions to treat an OCD patient.
It helps patients to explore, understand and implement different ways of thinking and behaving.
Such as how to improve relationships, behavior among others and avoiding repetitive thoughts.
10. Progressive Muscle Relaxation
PMR can be used to release tensions and anxiety of mind and body.
This technique is helpful to relax your body muscles from head to toe in order.
It manages the stress level and boosts your emotional and physical health.
Tips on Treating OCD in Children and Adults:
- Find a calm and relaxing place to do this relaxation exercise.
- Inhale and clench of your muscles in your face and relax.
- Hold it for 10 to 15 seconds and then slowly release the tension exhaling.
- If your child is young, break up the exercises into two parts, and take a break in between.
Repeat this many times to release tension from the mind, muscles, and body.
Adults can do this together with children it will help them to enhance their relations.
11. Self-Help Techniques
If you do not want to take medicines for OCD treatment.
Take help of the support group, family members, and friends together with therapy.
It can help you to elevate your mood in case of mild depression and tensions.
How to Help Someone with OCD?
- Do not keep your feelings inside you, let it come out.
- Whether its anger, stressful feelings or emotions it’s better to speak out.
- Take support of people you trust, share with them what you feel from inside.
- Keep yourself engaged in social activities and functions.
- Exercise regularly and eat healthy food.
- Get enough 8 hours sleep and maintain sleep and wake up routine.
- Do meditation, breathing exercises and other techniques to relax your mind and body.
With talking to a therapist or psychiatrist, and maintaining a routine life, you can deal with OCD without medication.
12. Learn New Things
Learn new things in life to change your rigid, compulsive and obsessive behavior.
If you have a feeling to change you rigidness behavior, then try new things in life.
Such as learning a new language, developing a new hobby, and making new friends.
Get your mind used to do different things and take a risk to tackle new changes.
How to Help Someone with OCD?
- Try a new sport, food, language, movie, talking to a stranger to experience something new.
- To reduce social anxiety try to talk to new people may be a kid, old age person, youngster.
- Be honest about the worst thing that could happen and deal with situations.
- Be open to changes and bring some newness into your life.
13. Let It Go and Go with the Flow
One must let go of small stuff and live life the way it is and go with the flow.
Sometimes expecting too much from others make you feel sad, its better stop expecting.
Try to understand others situation and let others think about others.
The best way to deal with your rigidness is to doing everything on your own.
Stop monitoring others life and focus on yours, just image they can handle things in your absence too.
Accept that thoughts, expressions, and way of doing things of every person is different.
No one can control each other thoughts.
Be easy on small things and don’t overreact to little things.
At first, it may seem difficult to you, but with positive mindset and determination, you can change your behavior.
14. Observe Your Rigid Behaviors
Obsessive Compulsive Behaviour often experiences rigidness, repetitive thinking, and fearful visions.
The people with OCD have obsessive thought, strict and repetitive behaviour.
To reduce your rigidness and become flexible with your thoughts, you need to observe your behavior.
- Take note of your daily routine and your rules.
- Ask your family members, partner, children to tell you when your rigidness appears.
- Analyse your behavior patterns. It will help to get awareness about yourself.
- Take help of your loved ones to change your behavior and thought process.
It may look odd at first, but with time and changes, it will make you more flexible.
15. Smile Often and Treat Yourself Well
A smile is the easiest factor to reduce tensions, worries, and anxieties.
Smiling makes you feel happy and good about yourself.
It improves your mental health and you spend a lot of time rejoicing.
It helps stimulate the production of the feel-good hormone serotonin and boost your mood.
Ways for OCD Treatment and to overcome OCD:
- Look into the mirror and give yourself a big smile, do it as the first thing when you wake up in the morning.
- Watch funny movies, crack jokes, join a laughter club to keep you smiling.
- Spend time with family and share good memories.
When you start to love yourself, ease your mind, then life becomes easy to live. Laugh often and rejoice with the company of your loved ones.
You can help children with OCD by making them happy to reduce their compulsive behaviors.
16. Go Easy on Yourself
Life would treat you the way you treat yourself.
Every individual is imperfect, feel low at times but still inherently worthy.
One must accept the fact that they can be perfect as human make mistakes.
When something goes wrong, don’t be harsh on yourself for your mistakes.
Instead, apologize for your behavior, learn from your mistakes, and move ahead.
Its ok to commit mistakes or fail at times, even genius encounter negative emotions.
Just learn to deal with it and treat yourself with love.
17. Be Patient as Getting Recovered Takes Time
Depression or anxiety comes when you remain strong for so long, it is not a sign of weakness.
Sometimes it takes some time to deal with situations, OCD takes about six to twelve months to get treated.
In severe symptoms, it recovers at a slow pace.
In the long-term, a person learns to deal with situations and a way of living a life.
When treating it naturally, it is necessary to remain patient during the process and deal it with strength.
How to Help Someone with OCD:
- Take help of Therapist or Psychologist to treat OCD without medication.
- Avoid unhealthy regime and eat healthy food and low-calorie diets.
- Let go small stuff, negative thoughts and go easy on yourself.
- Practice stretching of your muscles to attain mental flexibility.
- If you are an obese person, then indulge in exercises and healthy activities.