Smoking is a bad habit that affects health and even harder to quit if consumed regularly.
It often comes to the mind of a smoker as how to quit smoking, but do not know to quit.
It comes with a warning, “It is injurious to health”. But people still smoke cigarettes or nicotine for their enjoyment.
Did you know the warning signs of smoking?
It leads to cancer, heart prone diseases, affect your lungs or may shorten your lifespan.
Some may smoke to relish, or some think its cool to smoke, while others start due to stress or other reasons.
If you are reading this article, then you might be here to quit smoking.
Before knowing the steps to quit smoking, it is necessary to understand its harmful effects first.
Harmful effects of Smoking:
- It leads to pain or burning in the throat and lungs.
- It develops the health problems like heart disease, stroke, emphysema and many types of cancer.
- Smoking may lead to many skin problems like psoriasis or may get wrinkles.
- It may weaken your bones.
- It may increase the risk of illness.
Ways to Stop Smoking in Effective Ways
- Make a Decision to Quit and Reasons Why It’s Easy
- Analyze Reasons Why You Started Smoking
- Be Ready for Withdrawal Symptoms
- Take Help of Your Family and Surroundings
- Behavioral Cognitive Therapy
- Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)
- Be Committed to Not Smoking
- Cayenne Pepper
1. Make a Decision to Quit and Reasons Why It’s Easy
Quitting smoke can be challenging in case of long-term habit.
It is not easy to stop its addiction but can be possible with persistent efforts and dedication.
You need strong determination to quit as nicotine in cigarettes is excessively addictive.
Pen down the list of likes and dislikes about smoking.
When the negative traits are more than positive ones, then you are ready to quit.
Tips to Quit Smoking:
- Set your weekly goals and avoid smoking.
- Write down when you smoke or not.
- Analyse what areas it affects your life and health and how to improve it.
- Take help of your friends and family to quit smoking.
2. Analyze Reasons Why You Started Smoking
When it comes to stopping smoke, you need to prepare yourself psychologically.
First, you need to analyze the reasons why you want to quit smoking and trigger your weak areas.
For instance, write at what time you smoke and how can you avoid smoking at that times.
How to Quit Smoking?
- If you have a habit of smoking while driving, then plan to take long or different route. It will occupy your mind and help you to avoid smoking.
- If you smoke due to stress, then find others way to reduce stress and anxiety level. Such as going out for a walk, do exercises or talk to friends.
- Plan to keep yourself busy with things to keep you away from the habit of smoking.
One needs to understand that smoking addiction is related to the psychology of mind.
To quit smoking, you need to set up your mind, find out your trigger levels, and keep your mind busy to avoid cigarettes.
However, it is not easy to avoid or stop thinking, but with constant efforts, you can bring changes to your life.
3. Be Ready for Withdrawal Symptoms
Cigarettes are highly effective and harmful as it produces nicotine in excess throughout your body.
When you start to quit smoking, it may show worse symptoms.
Maybe, you fail to quit at first or find difficulty in concentrating.
For instance, you may experience gain weight, anxiety or stress may increase, experience headache, depression or restlessness.
You need to understand that to quit smoking will take a long time.
Ways to Stop Smoking?
When you are attempting to quit, make sure to take extra care of your health.
- Take enough sleep to reduce the stress or anxiety level.
- Eat healthy food and do exercise on a daily basis. It will help you to keep active and manage your weight.
- Go out for a walk.
- Talk to your family and friends about your problems and try to solve it out.
- Meditate often to relax your mind and free it from stress and depression.
- Take the help of a healthcare specialist, to help you show ways to stop smoking.
You can also consider nicotine replacement therapy that helps to curb s your urges and can reduce the withdrawal symptoms.
4. Take Help of Your Family and Surroundings
To quit smoking is a big decision and requires a strong mind and determination to remain on your cessation.
It can be easy for you to quit with the help of loved ones and their support.
Let your family and friends know that you are trying to quit, and take their support.
Tips on How to Quit Smoking?
- Take help of your family and friends, ask them to help you to curb smoking.
- Let them know your problems and how they can help you.
- Talk to friends they can help you to get distracted.
- You can also join a support group or talk to a counselor.
- Counseling may help you to stick to quit smoking strategies and help you to change the way of thinking.
5. Behavioral Cognitive Therapy
In Behavioral Therapy, counselors help you find ways to stop smoking.
They will help you to trigger your behaviors and emotions that make you want to smoke.
It is proven to be an effective therapy to help people quit smoking and teach new ways to deal with situations.
How to Quit Smoking with Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?
- One first sitting, they will help you to target quit date and bring your awareness related to smoking behaviors.
- Counselors will help to identify your trigger levels, what urges you to smoke and how can they help you to quit smoking.
- They will help you to solve your issues and teach you new ways to deal with it.
- They may also prescribe you medicines that may combat the psychological aspects of your addictions.
- This therapy will help you to lower the habit of smoking over time.
Meditation is a useful technique as it brings awareness to mind, a way of thinking and feeling.
It gives the number of health benefits and helps in quitting for good reasons.
Quit smoking naturally can be challenging, but with meditation, it can help you to combat your bad habits.
According to some study, Mindful meditation helps to increase the chances of successful quitting.
Benefits of Meditation:
- It helps to declutter your mind and give more control.
- It helps to reduce your stress and bring awareness.
- Smoking relieves stress on temporary basis whereas meditation removes your anxieties forever.
- Meditation will help you to learn and accept your emotions and will also help you to change your behavior and habits.
- It will bring positivity to mind and improve self-control.
- It will develop active mindfulness and boost self-compassion. You will feel kind towards you and others.
- Meditation brings awareness to the mind, body and inner self. It helps you to learn how to relax and stay calm without smoking.
Experts say, Active mindfulness for 45 minutes daily will not only help to quit smoking but also bring awareness.
You can listen to meditative music or can do meditation in a calm place.
How to Quit Smoking with Meditation?
- Sit in a calm and relaxing place.
- Close your eyes and slowly breath in and breathe out. Repeat it for few seconds and relax.
- You can do this with soothing music or can practice it in nature.
- Inhale and count to 6, hold it for a few seconds and then slowly exhale with the same counts.
This technique will help you to feel calm and reduce your stress level.
You can also read about 25 Relaxation Techniques for Peaceful Life
7. Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT)
NRT with a combination of Behavioural Cognitive Therapy helps to quit smoking.
The prescribed medicines do not contain nicotine but help to reduce the cravings and combat withdrawal symptoms.
According to Addiction And Recovery, NRT increases the rate of quitting by 50 to 70 percent.
It deals with physical addiction, but when it comes to controlling psychologically, it fails.
So, NRT with behavior therapy is an effective way to treat smoking habits.
- It helps to reduce smoking cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
- You can take this therapy with the help of a physician to reduce nicotine from the body.
This therapy is safer to use for smokers, but pregnant women’s avoid this therapy.
8. Be Committed to Not Smoking
Commitment requires self-determination, proper planning, control and persistent efforts.
There are many ways you can quit smoking.
- With a group
- Make and plan and strategies and stick to it
- Take help of family and support group
- With motivation and self-determined efforts
No matter which way you want to quit, but you need positive and diligent efforts to quit smoking.
How to Get Rid of Smoking Cessations?
- Commit to yourself fully, no matter what challenges you may face, you will stick to your plans.
- Make a plan, Write it down and work on it every day. You can take help of your loved ones to help you quit smoking.
- Motivate yourself with a positive affirmation or by achieving small targets.
- Control your urges and reduce the level of consumption cigarettes step by step. For instance, you smoke a cigarette each day now you reduce it to once a week.
- Join an online forum. It will boost your motivation to quit. Join others, share their and your experiences.
- Reward yourself on a weekly basis, on reducing the consumption of cigarettes. It will help you to be on track.
- If you get an urge to smoke try to distract your mind, take deep breaths and drink water.
- Bring positivity in your life as it will help to change bad habits.
- It’s alright if you didn’t succeed in your first attempt, keep on trying till you quit smoke.
Ginseng is a natural remedy that helps to reduce nicotine craving.
If you do not want to go with Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT), then Ginseng is for you.
It deals with mental stress, brings awareness and enhances concentration.
- It helps to alleviate the level of carvings.
- It helps to reestablish cortisol levels in the blood.
- Its effects help to reduce stress and restore balance during withdrawal symptoms.
- It releases the nicotine level from the body.
- It helps to quit smoking.
How to Quit Smoking with Ginseng?
- You can consume Ginseng Powder in Tea or make Ginseng Tea from Dried Ginseng.
- You can add Ginseng Powder in breakfast cereals, milk, and juices.
The best time you can consume it in the morning, It keeps you away from smoking.
Note: Do not consume it in case of heart problems, immune disease, diabetes, and sensitivities.
10. Cayenne Pepper
Cayenne Pepper is an effective way to combat nicotine cravings and withdrawal symptoms.
It antioxidants properties helps to stabilize lung membrane and prevent damage.
When eating Cayenne Pepper, it produces endorphins in your body that quickly provides elated feeling.
It is useful in various forms such as ground pepper powder, fresh pepper, and capsules to help stop smoking.
- It helps to reduce the smoking urges.
- It contains vitamin C & E that helps to rebuild the body quickly.
Cayenne Pepper helps to reduce the nicotine levels from the body and its chilliness prevent nicotine cravings.
Pepper gives quick relief from strong carvings and also works in long-term.
You can take Cayenne Pepper with a glass of water in the morning or else add in food diets.
You can stop smoking with diligent effort, plans and by following step by step method.
It may or may not be easy to quit smoking easily.
But one must not stop their efforts and determination to quit bad habits.
Whenever you get an urge to smoke, keep yourself aware of its warning sign and harm that cause to your health.
Make plans and work on it every single day to reach your goal and don’t forget to take help of your family members and friends to help you combat smoking.