When our stomach gets empty after digestion of a meal, it irritates the empty stomach and creates a gnawing sensation.
Hunger Pangs happens due to the irritation of the linings of the stomach.
These sensations are related to hunger and called hunger pangs.
What are Hunger Pangs?
Hunger Pangs is a feeling of pain or gnawing sensation in the upper left side of your abdomen.
It is a natural reaction to the empty stomach that leads to hunger pains.
The gnawing sensation also appears even if your stomach is full.
It further leads to the desire to eat more food even if there is no need to consume more food.
In some people cases, Hunger Pangs tends to start more quickly due to long hours without eating and drinking.
There is no particular amount of time during which hunger pangs may begin.
What are the Causes of Hunger Pangs?
Hunger appears due to overweight, and these pangs strike our mind mentally to eat more even when our stomach does not require any food.
The reasons include:
- Eating a lot of food at one time that stretches the stomach beyond its limits.
- Eating Hot Spices
- Drinking Beverages
- Chewing Food Insufficiently
What are the Symptoms of Hunger Pangs?
- Cravings for Various Foods
- Desire to Eat
- Lightheaded Feeling or Tiredness
- Abdominal Pain
12 Ways to Alleviate Hunger Pangs
In this article, we are sharing powerful tips to curb hunger pangs and how to suppress hunger. It will help you to manage your triggers while dieting.
- Eat Healthy Breakfast
- Take Snack After Your Workout
- Eat Salads and Low Carb Food
- Stay Hydrated
- Eat as per Schedule
- Exercise Regularly
- Get a Good Night Nap
- Appetite Suppressants Tea
- Eat Fiber Foods
- Take Protein After Every 4 Hour
- Take Small and Frequent Meals
- Distract Yourself to Alleviate Hunger
1. Eat Healthy Breakfast
A healthy high protein breakfast is essential to boost you up and start your day.
After long hours of sleep, our stomach eats a high amount of dietary fiber and proteins.
Those who skip morning meal tend to have more hunger pangs.
Eating the right choices of food helps you to keep full and beat your carvings during the day.
You must eat breakfast like a king size, and chew it properly to reduce the level of hunger.
How to curb hunger with healthy foods in breakfast
- Oatmeal: It contains fiber and nutrition that keeps your hunger at bay. It keeps your stomach full and balance blood sugar level and reduce sugar cravings. You can add low-fat milk, dry fruits and water to oatmeal.
- Yoghurt: It is rich in protein, calcium and vitamin D and keeps you feeling full. You can add fresh fruits and honey to the plain Yoghurt.
- Almonds: A handful of almonds can boost your energy level and keeps you full. It includes proteins, fiber, and healthy fat that helps to curb the hunger.
- Fruits and Juices: They are rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients that help to rejuvenate your energy level and charge you up. You can eat fruits or drink fruits juice one or two glass in the morning.
2. Take Snack After Your Workout
When you do workouts, you shed extra calories, and it may lead you tired and hungry.
Tips on how to reduce hunger pangs and post workout hunger pains
- Drink Water: Drinking plenty of water before, during and after workouts helps you to stay hydrated and curb your carvings.
- Take snacks one or two hours later, after your workout routine. You can get something light to eat after half an hour, if unable to control your pangs.
- Eat for Recovery: You can eat lean protein and whole grain carbs to restore the level of glycogen. You can drink milk or eat a slice of banana, apple, eggs with whole grain bread.
- Keeping a check on daily eating habits can help you to track your daily food intake.
It helps you to bring more control on your diets and keep intact with your pangs.
3. Eat Salads and Low Carb Food
Eating healthy fruits and vegetables that contains low calories helps to suppress hunger and keeps you full.
Green Vegetables and Fruits include fiber, mineral, vitamins and other nutrients that help you to remain healthy.
You can eat fruit salads with yoghurt or green leafy vegetables salad with olive oil or avocado oil, soy paneer or any other toppings.
It not only helps to reduce your calorie intake but also minimizes the post eating spikes.
You can also read about Quick & Easy Healthy Recipes To Made In 20 Minutes
4. Stay Hydrated
Water helps to curb your appetite and keeps you hydrated.
It also helps to reduce inflammation and supports weight loss.
Drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water a day, lowers your eating cravings unnecessarily and reduces soreness.
Drink plenty of water before, during and after workouts it will stop you from eating unhealthy.
- It helps to control your eating cravings.
- It helps to reduce inflammation from the body and hydrate you.
- Drinking water before meals can help to eat fewer calories and lose weight.
- Drinking 8 glasses of water a day help to combat obesity.
5. Eat as per Schedule
You must follow a routine or schedule, combine with workouts regime that helps to reduce weight.
It will also control your hunger and give you supplements in a small portion.
How to curb hunger by following an eating schedule
- Start with making a schedule and divide foods into small portions, eat after every 2 hours.
- It will help to control hunger and boost your energy level.
- For instance, suppose you eat your breakfast at 7 Am, eat something at 9 Am it can be juice, a small toast or fruit, then after two to three hours eat very light, such as apple, dry fruits or green tea.
Say around 11.30 or 12 Pm you had something, do lunch at 1.30 or 2.00 pm and so on.
- Eating five to six small meals during the day can keep you full and helps to control hunger.
Set your timetable accordingly and try to divide your meals into small portions so that you don’t feel hungry during the day.
You can also drink green tea two or three times a day or with snacks.
It will keep you fit and healthy.
6. Exercise Regularly
You must understand the fact that our body depends 80% on a diet and 20% on exercises.
Eating a healthy diet with a combination of daily exercises helps you to reduce weight and check hunger pangs.
How to get rid of hunger with exercises
- You can do cardio exercises in the early morning for at least 20 to 30 minutes.
- Running and jogging also helps you to stay fit and healthy.
- It has a prominent effect on following a healthy diet.
You can also read about How to Do Cardio for Weight Loss Effectively?
7. Get a Good Night Nap
A study confirms that lack of sleep and tiredness can cause people to eat extra calories next day.
A good night sleep help to beat hunger and keep in balance the hormones that impact your feeling of hunger and fullness.
Many researchers believe that sleep deprivation may lead to soreness and food cravings.
Lack of sleep may result in a drop of leptin hormones levels, and that can meet with at least 7 to 8 hours of sleep.
Tips on how to suppress hunger with good night sleep
- Try to sleep early say 9.30 to 10.00 pm, and get 8 hours sleep.
- A good night sleep will keep you active, reduce stress hormones and will help you to eat right.
- It will help to reduce the hunger hormones level and control the unhealthy eating.
8. Appetite Suppressants Tea
It is an astonishing fact that herbal teas not only helps to shed extra calories but also control hunger.
Drinking certain herbs in the form of tea provides numerous benefits to maintain good health.
- Green Tea: Add two or three cups of green tea daily helps to get rid of hunger and controls your appetite. The catechins also help to balance blood sugar level and boost metabolism rate.
- Mint Tea: It helps to reduce the urge of eating and helps to distract hunger pains and false hunger carvings.
- Black Tea: Consuming black tea helps to calm down the body and bring its cortisol levels back to normal. It helps to lower down the stress level and food cravings.
These herbal teas help to suppress your stomach pains or ache and elevates your mood.
As per medical advice, One must consume these healthy drinks to reduce hunger pang.
9. Eat Fiber Foods
Fiber is an essential compound that helps to fight hunger pains, and ghrelin level helps to stretch your stomach and stretch the walls of the stomach that keeps you full.
A study recommended consuming 25 to 30 grams of fiber a day.
Fiber foods include green leafy vegetables, fruits, low-calorie salads, and soups, whole grain, beans, and high-calorie intake makes you feel longer.
The fiber increase meal satiety and produce hormones that signal the brain to think that you have eaten full.
10. Take Protein After Every 4 Hour
Protein helps to curb hunger pangs, pain and keeps your full for a longer period of time.
High level of protein food helps to curb hunger and suppress ghrelin levels that provide a feeling of fullness.
The research shows that ghrelin increases the hunger by up to 30 percent.
It helps to boost your energy levels and repair muscles damages due to workouts.
High protein food includes:
- Apples: Apples are rich in fiber and proteins that are good to taste, and gives you a feeling of fullness. You can take an apple half an hour before a meal that will fill you up, and you’ll eat less.
- Eggs: It is rich in vitamins and minerals and high in protein that reduces soreness and increases the fullness of the time between breakfast and lunch. High proteins breakfast consumes lower calories throughout the day.
- Almonds: It contains minerals, fiber, protein and other nutrients that help to reduce the hunger pain. A handful of almonds helps to reduce stomach emptiness and keeps you full.
- Oatmeal: It helps to keep you full and reduce your desire to eat more. It is rich in fiber and proteins and a high amount of beta gluten that hydrates the body and keeps you satiated longer.
- Milk: It is a rich source of high-quality proteins and full fill your vitamins and other body requirements. A glass of milk gives numerous benefits and reduce hunger.
You can also take a few dark chocolates in the form of a snack to suppress hunger.
11. Take Small and Frequent Meals
The best way to curb hunger is to eat in small portions, strategically and as per total calorie intake.
Smart eating can keep your stomach satisfied and reduce hunger levels.
You can eat snacks such as fruits, vegetable, nuts, low-fat dairy products in a gap of every two to three hours.
It will control your calorie intake, keeps you full and helps to reduce weight.
Not only this healthy snacking helps you to get a daily dose of vitamins and nutrients.
If you have strong carvings between meals, then opt for low-calorie, low-fat, and high-protein snacks such as vegetables, fruits, and nuts.
You can also read about 11 Quick and Easy Weight Loss Recipes You Should Try
12. Distract Yourself to Alleviate Hunger
It needs persistent efforts and hard work to reduce weight, and when it comes to controlling hunger, it is more challenging.
To distract yourself from you can drink water and herbal tea frequently or take up a hobby.
How to curb hunger with distractions
- Take a Hobby: Hobbies such a reading, gardening, painting, writing, or knitting keeps your mind busy and helps you stop obsessing about food. You can enhance your skills and shift your focus.
- Socialize and Talk to Friends: Focus your time on friends and family rather than focusing on eating. Talk to friends, go for a walk or schedule a regular meet up plan.
- Watch a Movie: You can go to a movie and shift your focus towards watching rather than on eating food.
- Write: You can record or write your eating habits and calorie intake during the day.
It will help you to check on your emotional hunger and also motivates you to eat healthy foods.
- Walk & Music: You can go out for a walk, listen to good music or else visualize your health goals to ignore the discomfort.
- Drink Fluids: Drink water 8 to 10 glasses a day to keep you hydrated and green or herbal tea three times a day to keep you full during the day.
However, Hunger Pangs cause pain, the feeling of eating a lot more and triggers your emotional hunger level.
To reduce and suppress hunger, drink lots of fluid, eat diets high in protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
When you are dieting it is necessary to eat right, healthy diet and combination to this, drink green tea at least three times a day.
It will boost your metabolism level and reduce stress hormones.
Other things to keep your hunger away includes:
- Avoid your triggers and pangs.
- Seeks medical attention and advice to maintain your diet.
- Take small meals.
- Avoid junk foods as it may increase the insulin levels.
- Take control of your eating.
- Visualize your health goals.
- Drink lots of fluids during the day such as fresh juices, herbal tea, and water.