Gymming, as fancy as it may sound has always been on trend. But there are times when we don’t have enough time for driving to the gym or when we are in the mood to spend some time home.
In this post, We will talk about the best cardio workouts one can do at home.
It can help you get in shape and make you more confident in your skin.
So how can we still manage to work that body out to burn those extra calories and get that model look you religiously follow and turn heads?
Follow these steps to learn easy steps you can do that home without any gym equipment.
8 Best Cardio Workouts You Can Easily Do
Burpee is a total package cardio workout that involves the muscles of your back, shoulders, calves, your chest, abs, triceps, and butt.
You can do that easily at home and that too without any piece of equipment.
Burpees combine the cardio movements (jumping) with resistance training movements (push-ups, squats) and the core training (jumping the feet forward and backward, plank).
Steps to do a proper Burpee at home:
- Stand with your feet spread apart at the width of your shoulders, keeping your back straight and your shoulders back.
- Now with your head up, do a squat placing your hands on the floor and get in the plank position as you jump.
- Perform a push-up and jump your feet forward bringing them beside your hands.
- Jump as high as you can when you straighten up.
- Get straight into the squat position as you land.
Why Do Burpees
- Burpees help burn up to 50% more fat than any moderate cardio workout, making it one of the hardest exercises.
- They help to speed up your metabolism, hence, helping you lose weight even quicker.
- They make you stronger by working on your chest, arms, glutes, quads, hamstrings, and abs.
You can read about How to Do Cardio for Weight Loss Effectively
Jumping Jack will not only help you shed that stubborn belly fat but will also keep your heart healthy and improve your flexibility.
It involves repeatedly jumping your feet with circling your arms overhead and back again.
How to do Jumping Jacks:
- Stand with spine and head straight and your feet together.
- Start with bending your knees slightly.
- Now jump as high as you can with your legs spread out wider than your shoulders.
- Simultaneously, stretch your hands in line with your shoulders.
- Rest your feet on the floor at shoulder width with your hands stretched above your head when you come down.
- Get back to step 3 and repeat till step 5 and so on.
The beginners can start with 2 sets of 30 repetitions and gradually increase the reps to 100.
Jumping Jack can aid you to burn 100-200 calories depending on the intensity and time you devote to this exercise.
Skipping is a full body cardio workout that involves jumping over a rope repeatedly under the feet and over the head.
It is one of the best cardio workouts as 10 minutes of skipping is equivalent to 45 minutes run.
Skipping requires no special technique, you just need a skipping rope and some open space would do the trick.
Skipping helps to improve bone density by stimulating the bone in the femoral neck hence strengthening it.
It is the best tool for weight loss as a bouncing rope for an hour can burn about 1300 calories.
It helps build your stamina by working on your cardiovascular framework and enhancing the capacity of this framework.
Skipping has proved to be less strenuous than running putting less pressure on the joints.
For the beginners, it is recommended to do less intensity skipping at a slower pace.
Tips for Skipping:
- Skipping is more beneficial when done barefoot making your feet strong.
- Always choose a good quality jumping rope.
- Have proper warming up session before starting with skipping.
- Avoid skipping on carpeted surfaces and prefer doing it on shock absorbing surfaces.
- People who suffer from knee problem should avoid it as it may worsen the condition.
- People who weigh more than 100 kilos should start with small sets avoiding any health problems.
Plank is a core strengthening exercise that works on your inner core that you can easily do at home.
How to do a Plank:
- Lower our forearm to the floor with elbows right under your shoulders.
- Straighten your body with your feet resting on your toes.
- Your arms should form 90 degrees angle with your forearms.
- Now hold this position for as long as possible.
Why do Plank:
- It helps to burn the belly fat and work on the abdominal muscles.
- It helps to improve the body posture and give strength.
- Plank is a good solution for those who suffer from back pain for it targets the back muscles too.
- Holding your body for a few minutes in this position helps boost your stamina.
- Increasing the blood flow to the targeted muscles help trigger the happy hormones in your body hence uplifting your mood.
Tips to follow:
- Keep your glutes, hips, and legs in the same line.
- Avoid curving your lower back.
- Your neck should be in a neutral position looking down the floor or up at the ceiling.
Avoid the plank exercise if you have weak bones or have gone through any type of surgery.
Squats, king of all workouts give you proper body shape and strengthen your leg muscles.
Targeting your lower body including your hips, thighs, calves putting right curves just at the right places.
How to do Squats?
- With your feet spread slightly wider than your shoulders’ width, stand and hold your hands together.
- Slowly bringing down your hips with your back straight, bend your knees.
- Your head should be facing forward and your eyes straight for the neutral spine.
- Inhale as you keep bringing your hips down to the depth till you can reach in a sitting position.
- Once you reach the deepest position, while exhaling, bring your body back to the standing position and repeat the same.
Beginners should start with 2 sets of 10 repetitions then increasing it to 3 sets of 12 repetitions.
Tips for Squatting:
- Warming Up: Warming up for a few minutes before the main exercise will give the muscles and the joints some time to prepare for the movements.
- Descend Slowly: Moving down too quickly can increase the chances for injuries.
- Drop Down Low Enough: Not bringing your hips down to the lowest point possible will not bring out desired results.
Squats are considered as one of the best cardio workouts as it helps burns the fat around your belly, legs, thighs which are quite tough to burn with other regular exercises.
You can read about 12 Remarkable Benefits of Cardio Workout
When done properly, push-ups can be the perfect exercise that not only strengthens the core but also builds the upper body.
One of the most common exercises, you can easily do push-ups at home and too without any equipment.
The proper way to do push-ups:
- Very much similar to the Plank pose, push-ups require touching your palms on the floor with the rest of your body resting on your toes.
- Inhale slowly by tightening your belly and bringing your body down while bending your elbows.
- Keep bending the elbows until they make a 90 degrees angle.
- Make sure your knees are unlocked.
- Now while slowly exhaling, keeping your abdomen tight and your legs, hips, and back in the same straight line, push the floor with your hands coming back in the plank position.
Those who find it too difficult can start with the wall push-ups or by simply
bending your knees resting them on the floor.
Tips for the beginners:
- Always keep your head up avoiding bending your forehead downwards.
- Do not shift your weight back during push-ups.
Jogging in Place
You can do a jog at one place in case you do not have time to move out of the home.
This no-equipment exercise is as convenient as sleeping, making it the most loved form of exercise and hence listing it in the race of best cardio workouts at home.
It helps to burn total body fat and almost work on every part of the body.
Just slip in your favorite pair of shoes and start jogging at one place for 30 to 60 seconds and continue it for 10- 15 minutes.
It not only brings you in good shape but also lifts your mood making you more happy and lively than ever before.
What could be more fun and simple than working your body out on staircase?
Even a single stair can be brought in use to shed the unwanted fat.
Running or walking up the stairs as fast as possible and walking back to recover will burn a huge amount your calories.
If you have a longer staircase, then you can combine other exercises as well as jumping jack, skipping and jogging in place.
To strengthen the workout, use one step for lunges, squats, push-ups, and dips.